Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Predictions

I don't want to brag, but I've won my Oscar pool 35 years running. Plus, I read Entertainment Weekly every day. So, I wouldn't bet against my Oscar predictions.


Best Picture: I'm gonna have to say No Country for Old Men, even though there's this little twing in my gut that says Juno in an upset. But I try not to listen to my gut that much when I'm hungover.

Best Director: The Coen Brothers. Julian Schnabel had an early victory at the Golden Globes, but as award season went on I feel like the Coen brothers gained all the buzz and momentum he lost. Also, there's two of them, which means more efficient handshaking and baby-kissing.

Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis for There Will Be Blood. Obvi.

Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem, another gimme.

Best Actress: I'm going to pick Julie Christie over Marion Cotillard, because the Academy hates the French (as do we all).

Best Supporting Actress: I'm so torn between Ruby Dee and Amy Ryan, but I think I'm going to give it to Ryan. If Cate Blanchett wins I'll kill myself.

Now, some lesser Oscar viewers might hazard some guesses for the big 6 and move on with their day, but not me. I start watching E! at noon and I make predictions for every single category. So...

Best Documentary Feature: Taxi to the Dark Side
Documentary Short: Sari's Mother
Animated Feature: Ratatouille
Foreign Language Film: The Counterfeiters
Cinematography: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Original Screenplay: Juno by Diablo Cody
Adapted Screenplay: Ethan and Joel Coen, No Country for Old Men
Visual Effects: Transformers
Animated Short Film: I Met The Walrus
Live Action Short Film: The Mozart of Pickpockets
Art Direction: Atonement
Costume Design: Atonement
Film Editing: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Sound Mixing: Transformers
Sound Editing: Ratatouille (but who the fuck knows?)
Original Score: Atonement
Original Song: one of the Enchanted songs, probably That's How You Know
Makeup: La Vie en Rose

Yay, Oscars! E! starts their pre-awards coverage at noon with their arrivals special at 6; ABC gets it going at 6:30 with "Evening at the Academy Awards: Arrivals," then the Barbara Walters special, then "Road to the Oscars 2008" at 8pm, then the big show at 8:30. Anyone who wants to come over and sit on Danielle's and my pushed together beds is welcome.

No comments: