Sunday, June 1, 2008

Top 5 Favorite Sex and the City Moments

So I know that the readership of this blog leans more towards Sports Night than Sex and the City, but in honor of the movie, now open, I wanted to revisit some of my favorite moments of the series. Sure, sometimes the puns were cringe-worthy and the fashion was heinous and the girls were selfish, stupid, shallow or slutty-- but when SATC was good, it was orgasmic. My top 5 (plus clips when I could find them) after the cut. No spoilers for the movie, but definitely spoilers for all six seasons of the series.

5. Seconds before walking down the aisle to marry Trey, Charlotte tells Carrie that Trey can't get it up. Carrie tries to comfort her, but then tells Charlotte (I'm paraphrasing): "Sweetie, if you don't want to go through with this, we can just hop in a cab and everyone will just have to get over it." Being willing to help your friend become a runaway bride? That's a true Maid of Honor

I don't have a clip of that moment, so instead, you can watch Harry propose to Charlotte a few seasons later:

4. Samantha is losing her hair from chemo treatments for her breast cancer, and her boy toy Smith unexpectantly steps up to the plate by shaving his head too.

3. Despite her lazy ovary and Steve's one ball ("It's like the special Olympics of conception"), Miranda becomes pregnant. In the clinic with Carrie, she says, "No I can't have a baby. I could barely find the time to scheldule this abortion." But her decision to keep it, and Charlotte's tears of joy at hearing that "we've having a baby," proves that it's not all cosmos and stilettos in their world.

2. Charlotte finally becomes pregnant after years of trying, but suffers a miscarriage a few weeks in. She sits on the couch in her pajamas, totally destroyed, watching TV. But then, through the power of Elizabeth Taylor's E! True Hollywood Story ("Now is the time for guts, and guile"), Charlotte realizes she has to keep on living. So she puts on her pink dress and Audrey Hepburn sunglasses and walks down Park Avenue looking like perfection. My user photo is Charlotte in this dress, and it makes me cry and cheer every time. God, I'm such a sap.

1. All four women are having cocktails while Big celebrates his engagement to Natasha just a few blocks away at the Plaza. Carrie wonders why he's marrying Natasha and not her, and Miranda explains it in one word. Everything in this clip is perfect... except, Carrie needs a better bra like I need a pair of Manolo Blahniks-- desperately.


Bonus moment! I was never a big fan of Carrie's relationship with Berger (although Ron Livingstone is inarguably a cutie), but I adore the episode that takes place in the aftermath of him breaking up with her on a Post-It. Charlotte's glowing from her engagement to Harry, Miranda's fitting into her skinny jeans, Samantha is helping them score pot, and Carrie is giving the mother of all speeches to Berger's friend (played by another cutie, Michael Showalter). I especially love her delivery of "Interesting, how so?"

No comments: