Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Build Blocks part duex

Thinking about Psych (and the subsequent friendship of Shawn and Gus) and watching Grosse Pointe Blank (true friends, like John Cusack and Jeremy Piven, help each other burn a corpse, no questions asked) plus everything going on now, made me think of some of my favorite television friendships.

But first, though I hate to tack on an honorable mention, I want to add one more quote to the list of quotes on friendship:

(Because someone must stay behind during the State of the Union, in case of disaster)
President Josiah Bartlet: Roger, If anything happens, you know what to do, right?
Secretary of Agriculture Roger Tribbey: I honestly hadn't thought about it, sir.
President Josiah Bartlet: First thing always is national security. Get your commanders together. Appoint Joint Chiefs, appoint a chairman. Take us to defcon 4. Have the governors send emergency delegates to Washington. The assistant Attorney General is going to be the Acting A.G. You got a best friend?
Secretary of Agriculture Roger Tribbey: Yes, sir.
President Josiah Bartlet: Is he smarter than you?
Secretary of Agriculture Roger Tribbey: Yes, sir.
President Josiah Bartlet: Would you trust him with your life?
Secretary of Agriculture Roger Tribbey: Yes, sir.
President Josiah Bartlet: That's your chief of staff.
Dedicated to my Chief of Staff

Top 5 TV friendships:

5. Josh Lyman and Sam Seaborne (The West Wing)
There are several flaws with their relationship that really stems from underdevelopment but I just love that Josh, not once but twice, can show up in the middle of Sam’s day and just smile. And Sam knows that he should follow him. A bond that withstands time and distance. As I left high school and as I get ready to leave college, I can only hope that I too can call on my friends.

4. Ed Stevens and Mike Burton (Ed)
For a show that had maintained four seasons on NBC, I have never met anyone who watched or liked Ed. I don’t understand the pervasive animosity toward a show where two full grown, professional adults will do anything for a ten dollar bet. This running joke encompasses the innocence and idealism that I believe is important in remembering that you don’t have to grow up all the way all the time.

3. Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza (Seinfeld)
Jerry and George are the interesting versions of people everywhere. About every other day, I am sitting with my friends discussing something trivial (fruits, pillows, or old time phones come to mind) and invariably we stop and think that this would be the most boring Seinfeld episode ever. No, I may not pretend to hire my friend as a latex salesman but I have definitely wasted well over half an hour waiting for a table in a restaurant.

2. Casey McCall and Dan Rydell (Sports Night)
Yes, I love Sports Night. Get over it. These are two friends who have been through a lot and in the end have always been able to rely on each other.

1. Greg House and James Wilson (House)
I’m not sure there has been a friendship so co-dependant and dynamic. So dysfunctional and creative. Everything about them screams Odd-Couple. Is it just me, or is it kinda sexual? House’s interactions with Wilson are far more interesting than Foreman, Chase, Cameron, Cuddy, or (ugh) Stacy. And after season 4, it’s gonna be put to the test.

No comments: